Join us for our first ever (at least as far as we know) SEI Pittsburgh design competition!
Design a “contraption” to toss an apple as far as possible. Catapults and Trebuchets are suggested, but you are welcome to be creative within the competition rules.
Open to members and non-members alike. Encouraged to make this a family activity – work it into your homeschool curriculum! Tell your kids’ class to participate!
Entry by video to Google drive link provided for video upload. Must include proof of dimensions, video of launch, and proof of distance measurement – such as on an empty football field.
$25 Amazon gift card to the winner … and to the most ‘epic-fail’.
- Measure distance on a relatively flat surface, from the front of the machine to the impact point.
- All apples must be non-modified (cut to a different shape, filled with BBs, etc.).
- All contraptions must fit within a 3’ cube in the launch-ready state.
- Use purely mechanical systems only.
- No rolling down a hill or launching off a cliff.
- No electrical/battery operated/exterior power components.
- No in-flight assisting devices (paper airplanes, etc.).
- No explosives (gun powder, fireworks).
Contest “Launches” Sept 14, all entries must be in by 12:00 noon on October 5, 2020.
SEI-Pgh is not responsible for any associated injuries. You grant permission for SEI Pittsburgh to use/post/share your video for promotional purposes